Saturday, November 10, 2018

Ten on the 10th....Hostess gifts for under $10



I personally believe that, especially during the holidays, one should always bring a hostess gift to every party, dinner, or get together they are attending!  It doesn't have to be an expensive gift, but rather a way to acknowledge your appreciation for being "included".

Here are some ideas that are inexpensive, but will certainly be appreciated by any hostess:

FUDGE WREATHS
This fudge, in the shape of a wreath, is so easy to make - and it's "never fail", too.

Here are the supplies - just under $10 to make 3-4 wreaths:
aluminum pans from the dollar store
vanilla
evaporated milk
chocolate chips and butterscotch chips
walnuts
a few spearmint leaves


The first thing I do is cover some "prescription" bottles with plastic wrap. These are to create the holes in the center of the fudge, to create a wreath shape.



I place these in the center of small aluminum pie tins:



I lightly brush butter on the tins and the plastic wrapped bottles:


I cut "leaves" out of gumdrops or spearmint leaves:


I chop up lots of walnuts:


And here is the recipe:
12 oz bag of milk or semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter OR butterscotch chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 t vanilla extract
Melt all 4 ingredients until creamy and add 8 oz chopped walnuts

Pour into 3-4 prepared small pie tins and add a few "leaves" and little cinnamon balls:


Refrigerate until set. Then I "twist" the prescription bottle out of center:



Peel away the pie tin, place on a holiday dish and it is ready to be wrapped up for gifts or ready to slice and enjoy yourself!




This takes little time but makes a lovely gift. I usually wrap it in cello wrap with a pretty bow!  There are some cute plastic plates that you can find at the Dollar Tree or Christmas Tree Shops and it still keeps this gift under $10!


__________________________________________________

SOUTHWEST RUB:

Another fun idea is to give a jar of a spice or seasoning mix that you have made.


Print out your recipe onto recipe cards or gift bags and make a batch of this seasoning rub....


Store this in a pretty jar OR wrap in small plastic zip bags and tuck into paper gift bags - Use your imagination to present it in a pretty manner!



This recipe made 16 little gift packets:

Southwest Rub
1/3 c course salt
1/4 c lt brown sugar
2 T paprika
2 T black pepper
2 T oregano
2 T thyme
1 T cayenne pepper
1 T cumin
1T coriander
1 T chili powder
Mix all together well and enjoy on chicken, fish or beef!


For other ideas, visit some of my old posts:

These vinegars are easy to make, just store it in a cute bottle.

Tandoori Rub is delish, store it in a cute jar with a big red bow and a jingle bell.

Fresh herbs are also a great idea.

And if you are a Mackenzie-Childs fan, visit this old post for some inexpensive ideas for gift giving HERE






Pin It
Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

16 comments:

  1. Patti, I love your ideas! The fudge wreath is gorgeous and would be so welcomed by a neighbor or friend. The spice packets are a great idea too. I might do that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have fond memories of my grandmother making fudge and divinity every year. Your wreath is extra cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fudge wreaths?? How did I not know about these?? They look great and I love the idea of bringing treats like this to others. Useful and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those fudge wreaths are the cutest ever!! I have never seen those before! I love how you printed the spice recipe on the bag. I want to be you when I grow up. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love homemade gifts - I need to start planning!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to be dreaming about that fudge wreath all day long! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent ideas. Those wreaths are so clever, Patti. You have all sorts of good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, thanks for another idea to make with my fudge. I made pounds and pounds every Christmas to give as "happies." You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree it's always nice to bring a small gift to the hostess, Patti. Your darling wreaths would make anyone happy. I really like the addition of the candies and the inexpensive plate and knife. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great ideas! I can't wait to try making your little wreaths.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your fudge wreaths are such a great idea Patti! And I think herb packages are lovely too, easy to put together and always appreciated. Great ideas, I need to get with it, I have only barely begun to think about holiday gifts...
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those fudge wreaths are best idea EVER!!!
    I am so making those to hang on pkgs for my girlfriends. Great idea, Becky!!! Thanks.
    B Homeckys are the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Patti I would be thrilled if someone bought me one of these gifts. Desserts are always welcome in my house.

    ReplyDelete