Sunday, January 17, 2010

Remember all those candy canes?...

Well I decided to try one of the many "leftover candy cane ideas" today. I had mini candy canes, large peppermint, fruit flavored and smartie-flavored and lolipop sticks.
I covered a cookie sheet with wax paper, preheated oven to 350' and shaped them into hearts. The large ones were broken, to shorten them:

And not considering size nor style, I found that some melted quicker than others and some only melted inside....so this is my first fiasco:
And after making a few messes, I found that this idea works best with the mini candy canes (but not all kinds). So I made about 16 and wrapped them up for Valentines Day:

And all the rest will be brought into school for the kids:
LESSON LEARNED: do not buy too many candy canes next Christmas!

I'm joining Just Something I whipped up Monday and Made It Monday at the Persimmon Perch and Make it for Monday at Cottage Instincts today...hop on over to see what other bloggers have made today!

Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

17 comments:

  1. What a great idea, I already donated my candy canes to a nursing home (I always buy sugar free) I could have made them cute. Darn!
    Great news! Doug and I from Starting Over have decided to have a for no special reason Giveaway. It is a $50 giveaway. You do not have to be local to win. He will ship the items you choose straight to you! He has a booth at a local mall and when you post in the comment section just say what you like/need/want.
    We will email you pictures and prices if you win. Easy Peasy.
    Email me if you have a question.

    http://gafoodies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, how cute...maybe I should have bought some candy canes this year:( Hope you have a FUN week!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE it! I actually kind of like that red and white one that "oozed" a bit...I wonder if you stuck a round peppermint in the center if they would have come together (oozed, if you will :-) to form a solid heart??

    ReplyDelete
  4. those turned out really cute I'll have to give them a try

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are just darling! I love candy canes!!
    Blessings,
    Suzanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool idea! Hope you are enjoying your day off. I'm off to the gym --- gotta keep up my stength for the way too many projects I am working on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea. I still have a few hanging around from Christmas - may have to try that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great reuse idea! Love your sweet blog!

    Nice to meet you...stop by!

    love,kelee

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so funny.

    I'm referring to the fact that you had too many candy canes.

    I don't particularly LIKE candy canes, so I do not believe I have ever bought one in my life, unless it was to use as a decoration, and yet each year I somehow END UP WITH TOO MANY!!!!! Hubby eats them slowly over the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL its like lemons into lemonade ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl...I thought for sure you were making that necklace for me!!! Next year for sure!!!
    Missing my candy cane necklace at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute, I can't wait till next year and I am going to stock up after Christmas, for this idea. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Cha Cha

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea because don't we all have a zillion left over candy canes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a very cute idea. I might have to go buy some more candy canes so I can make some for my grandkids, lol!

    Thanks for the comment on my candy cane craft! Will have to come back and browse your blog when I have a little more time. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your candy cane hearts! Great use for Christmas "leftovers"....and I'm sure the kids will appreciate the rest.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  16. So CUtE! I will HAVE to try this since I have tons of mini canes left over :)

    ReplyDelete