Saturday, January 30, 2010

Real Men Don't Eat Quiche...

Remember the book "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche"? Well the title became a common saying during the 80's. As I made a joke to my eighth graders and quoted that very saying, they looked at me quite puzzled. Not only had they never heard the saying, they had never had quiche.

I love quiche. Quiche and salad is the ultimate lunch for me. So, because this is a very small class of 8th grade boys, and it meets at 8:00 am, I decided to make them quiche.

I offered a variety of "flavors" and they chose tex-mex. This recipe is from the prettiest cookbook, Goodness Gracious by Roxie Kelley. Yes, cookbooks must have great photos or artwork for it to be considered for purchase! The art work is fabulous, quite similar to Susan Branch's watercolors.
The boys LOVED the quiche....and each one left class with this recipe so they could prepare it at home:
Fiesta Quiche (page 97)
5 eggs
2 c milk
1/4 cup salsa
1/2 onion diced
7 oz chopped green chiles
2 cups grated monterey jack cheese

Combine all ingredients and pour into a 9" pie shell.
Bake for 40 minutes.

A photo? No...they ate it too quickly!

My favorite quiche is spinach and bacon...Yours?

Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

9 comments:

  1. I like quiche too and I have not make it in way too long! This one looks so good. I have that cookbook too! Love the pictures in it...I am sure that was one of the main reasons I bought the book...the artwork is beautiful! I am going to give this recipe a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE quiche at our house - - - hubs and all. I love bacon, broccoli, and cheese quiche, but then I've never met a quiche I didn't like.

    This happens to me OFTEN - - - I try to use an illustration of something in the past, and my students look at me like I just stepped onto the planet from Mars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are quiche lovers in my home also. Our favorite is bacon and onion. I like the sound of your recipe and since I haven't decided on dinner tonight....tag your recipe is it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom & I were just talking about making quiche a couple of weeks ago. We were discussing the way food goes in and out of "style"--and specifically talked about the way quiche got so popluar in the early 80's and now you never hear about anyone making quiche anymore. She made quiche that week, and now you're making one, too, so I think that's a "sign" for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quiche sounds sooooo good...thanks for sharing the recipe!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love quiche, too! Unfortunately, I have to eat the crustless now {Trader Joe's carries the little ones} since I had to go gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to bookmark this one and try it this weekend. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought that almost 8C of filling was too much for even my deep dish pie pan and I was right...it overflowed! It's in the oven now @350? Is that the right temp. I noticed there was no temp given. I'm sure it will be delicious. Did you have a problem with it overflowing the pan? I love quiche and my favorite is spinach and cheese and chicken divan quiche.
    Can't wait for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy, Patti! I taught Home Ec way back in the day, too. I have several cookbooks by Roxie Kelly, but that particular one I gave to my daughter. I love the art work, too. ❤️

    ReplyDelete