Saturday, January 27, 2024

Scrap Pin ~ Do It Over Designers


The Do It Over Designers Blog Hop, hosted by Anne @ Apple Street Cottage, is at it again!  All of the participants are listed at the bottom of this post. Make sure you hop around for some recycling inspiration!

I had a bunch of scraps of fabric left over from another project, so I decided to make a pin.  It was very simple and took little time, read on to see how to make one!





I cut 6 circles about 3 1/2" wide out of 6 different coordinating scraps of fabric.....


...and then I cut each one in half.  I folded each half circle in half again and stitched each one on the straight edge:


I clipped each top to get a clean point when turned right side out:


After turning each one to the right side, i took a needle and thread and stitched a running stitch through the raw edge of each of the 12 triangles, connecting them all together:



After all 12 were stitched, i pulled the thread to gather them tightly:


A quick stitch and knot held them all together:


To stabilize the flower, I cut a circle out of plastic and hot glued it on the back side:



On the front side I hot glued a piece of felt, the same size.....


....and then hot glued two layered buttons over the felt:


The final step was to add a pin back by hot glueing it to the plastic backing:


This was a fun, easy and quick way to create a pin out of leftover scraps of fabric!



Here are a few clever ideas from other Do It Over Designers:








Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

10 comments:

  1. What a pretty way to use up that fabric, the buttons are a lovely finishing touch too. Such a versatile idea. The perfect brooch for brightening up a winter coat and help us all think of spring :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun burst of colour and an amazing way to use those scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fabric junkie, so I have tons of tiny scraps! This is a fun, fashionable and colorful way to use some of them up...especially during these gray and cold winter days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Patti, for so many reasons...the bright colors, using the scraps, the buttons, oh my goodness, the buttons! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the best ideas, Patti! What a fun way to use of fabric scraps! Your pin looks really cute and adorable! I love how you added the layered button, too! It was like icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so cute Patti! It would be sweet in different colors for different holidays too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a bright and happy pin. This looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your fabric scrap pin make me smiles. It's super fun and colorful. Just the perfect thing to brighten up a coat during the dreary winter months that we have here. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made flowers like this a really long time ago but mine were not as pretty and I never considered using them for a pin. So clever! Your choice of fabrics is so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving the whimsical and artsy look of your scrap pin. It's right up my alley with the fun mix of colors and the quirky center embellishment. Well done!

    ReplyDelete