Friday, August 27, 2021

Tomato Sauce

                       Tomato Sauce


It has been SO HOT in Central NY that it is not even comfortable to be outside in the afternoon, so I did some deep end of the summer cleaning, moving furniture, washing doors, floors and woodwork, and cleaning all those hidden spots that get overlooked.  After that I ran up the hill to the farm stand and grabbed some tomatoes - well I didn't run, I drove my air conditioned car - and made some delicious sauce!




The tomatoes were big and juicy so I made some tomato sauce to freeze and enjoy this winter!

It's so easy to make....



I blanched the tomatoes for a minute in boiling water, until the skins cracked, and I peeled them.  I cut them up and tossed them into a pan with lots of garlic.



Do you know the trick to peeling a lot of garlic quickly?



Place the cloves in a sauce pan, cover it and shake the heck out of it - and they peel themselves:


And then I just cut the garlic in chunks....


...and added some onion, a bunch of dried Italian seasonings, and a little sugar to cut the acidity:


I let this simmer for a few hours, stirring now and then - oh it smells so good!

I add a little tomato paste to help thicken the sauce.....


And the last step is to use the immersion blender to purify everything.  You can also strain it if you don't like the seeds, but they don't bother us!


I will be freezing 2 1/2 jars and I have enough for Saturday dinner!


A day well spent!





Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

6 comments:

  1. I need to pass this recipe on to my mother who has more tomatoes in summer than she can eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She could even make tomato juice. I wish I had a tomato garden!!

      Delete
  2. It sounds wonderful, so smart to make it with delicious summer tomatoes and freeze!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patti, you sound like you are living in the south, you perfectly described summer here from morning till night. Hot! Your tomatoes look so pretty in their jars. I think we had the same idea, I had canning tomatoes and put them in the freezer yesterday. I use them for sauces, chili and soup and the fresh summer taste comes through during cold weather and taste so good. Happy weekend.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly a great idea with bumper crops of tomatoes! Great tip about the garlic, too. I will definitely do that next time I need to peel garlic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the dip on peeling the garlic. I have learned something new Patti. The tomato sauce looks so pretty and I know it will taste good. Oh girl, I can remember growing up farming of the many, many, many jars of tomato sauce that we would put up. My tomatoes was plentiful this year for us but then I am the only one at my house that eats them so I would have one a day and slice some for Sunday dinner. I miss them now! Girl...your trick with the garlic...well, I do the same thing with boiled eggs. The Shell comes right off! Happy September to you. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete