Sunday, March 29, 2020

Napkins, Napkins and Napkins.....

I enjoy setting a pretty table and especially using fabric napkins.  My mother always set a pretty table and I often was in charge of the "place cards" when I was little.  This tradition was carried into my own family and now I enjoy seeing how my daughter set the table for special dinners.

Napkin folding has always been a fun way for me to dress up a table.  My Mom gave me this book in the early 90's.....


...and I keep this is tucked inside:


I store my napkins in fabric boxes I purchased at the Christmas Tree Shop.  I keep them in the guest linen closet:



There are so many napkin folding videos online and clever ideas found on Pinterest.

Here are a few of my ideas to inspire you:


This bunny fold is very popular and easy to create - fold your napkin into a triangle and roll it from the fold to the point.  Tuck and egg inside and tie tight with a ribbon or twine.


You can use a hard boiled egg and write a name on it as a 'place card'.


This is another bunny fold, a bit more detailed:


A hard boiled egg can also be ticked in for a face:


A simple knotted napkin holds flatware, great idea for a buffet:


Rose Fold is perfect for a spring table setting:


Another idea for spring is to create a bird's nest out of your napkin:


Fleur de Lis is a common fold and works well with a paper napkin, too:


This is a cute Rose Fold:


This is another cute fold to hold Easter eggs, or candy treats:


This is perfect for a beach or pool party - fold your napkin into a boat.  


Sometimes just simply tucking it into a glass, bowl or cup can add some fun to your table:


 Here are a few Napkin folding videos to inspire you;
 Many of these folds can be created with paper napkins, too.

Here are some cute ways to use NAPKIN RINGS:


Use a simple tassel, or a felt flower to wrap around a rolled napkin:


These are ceramic rings from Pottery Barn:



Think outside the box - this is a hair tie:


This ribbon is attached to the placemat and it ties around the napkin, silverware can be tucked inside and all rolled up - perfect for dining al fresco:


These are simple to make:



A napkin rolled into a bow is perfect for any occasion:


Large leaves or florals can wrap around a napkin to make it festive....


...any item that has a wired stem works well:




POCKETS:
These are perfect for buffets and dining al fresco:


 I found these at the dollar store, the 3 little slits hold plastic silverware and are perfect for picnics:


This napkin fold creates pockets:


These pockets are created from wired burlap ribbon:




So, why use cloth napkins?
They hold up better and are not wasteful, and they are more environmentally friendly. They are decorative and add flair to a table setting. A family of 4, using 2 paper napkins a day can cost over $100 a year.   Fabric napkins are inexpensive and you will have them forever.

Teaching your child the art of napkin folding might make table setting a fun chore for them!




Do you use fabric napkins?

Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

4 comments:

  1. The place settings you post are SUCH an inspiration to me, Patti. We cook an incredible array of food for holidays, but I set a TERRIBLE table. I tried cloth napkins in our early years, but I could never seem to get them clean enough afterward (a post on your tips would be most welcome), so I switched to paper. Dang, I don't even do a pretty tablescape.

    I look forward to trying some of these ideas a little further down the calendar. Thanks for the great inspo! You are the queen of settings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Patti, so many creative napkin folds for your gorgeous settings. Hard to choose a favorite but now I'm all in for the bunny ears. Such a great post. Happy Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these are all sooo cute! I am lazy when it comes to the napkins in my tablescapes, I need to expand my repertoire! I will be pinning away!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete