Sunday, March 8, 2020

Basil....

I love the aroma of basil and this little plant is giving off such a wonderful scent in my home today.  Trader Joe's had a batch of herbs and I couldn't resist taking home this plant:


 Basil is an excellent source of vitamin K, manganese, iron, vitamin A, and vitamin C. It's also a good source of calcium, magnesium, and omega-3 fatty acids. Basil isn't simply for internal use, when basil's oils are extracted to make an essential oil, it is used for treating cuts, wounds, and skin infections.

If basil plants grow in a cold place, they will probably die when there are any severe temperature drops; otherwise, they can live up to a year. One thing to keep in mind: you should try not to let your plant flower.  They are pretty flowers, but they are also a sign that the plant is shutting down and going into reproduction mode instead of growth mode.

Harvest the leaves from the top down, cutting back up to a third of the total plant height. Be sure to cut or pinch right above a leaf pair rather than leaving a stub. In a few weeks, your plants will be ready to harvest again.



I love basil in lasagna, salads, bruschetta, caprese, egg dishes, strawberry basil salsa, cocktails, pizza, basil butter, melon salad, tomato soup and especially in this cocktail:

Muddle a few basil leaves and a few chunks of orange in a glass, add a shot of vodka, 3/4 lemonade and top with soda water to make a Orange Basil Mojo!



What's your favorite herb?

Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

8 comments:

  1. I guess I'm not much of an herb person. I am a "plain food" type of cook...just good old southern cooking, nothing fancy. My mother never used any herbs and not much spice in her cooking and so I just didn't learn to either. I'm sure it would be more fun and even more enjoyable. Our little town is pitiful for grocery stores (only 2) and just finding bottled spices can be difficult:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love basil in dishes. I enjoy having basil in my garden because it deters bugs and I like the pretty green color and scent.
    I enjoyed a grilled cheese sandwich with basil spread and turkey at a restaurant in San Antonio that was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing more enticing than the smell of fresh basil~ it looks lovely in the MKC pot! Your pesto sounds divine...
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love getting fresh herbs from my boss (he grows himself) I really need to grow my own. I love the pottery you use. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cilantro - I know that not everyone can appreciate it, but its so great in fresh salsa. I also love Rosemary. Your cocktail looks delightful, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh love the MC pot for your basil, so sweet. Basil is I think ,my favorite herb. My TJ's plant in next to my sink under the window. I love to touch it and get the aroma on my fingertips. Great recipe, yum. Love anything with basil, especially salad and pizza......

    ReplyDelete