Saturday, February 10, 2018

TEN on the 10th - Basil Salt and a St Patty's treat



While in Trader Joe's the other day I spied lush, fresh basil plants for $2.99, so I picked up a plant and made some Basil Salt!

I used sea salt and basil, the same measurement of both, 1/2 c. of each:


I  used my little food chopper to grind up the salt and basil...



….until it looked like this:



It will be moist…




...so it has to be spread out on parchment paper on a cookie sheet:



The oven was preheated to 275'.



After 10 minutes it will look like this, so toss it around a bit and bake for 10 more minutes.



When it cools, it has to ground up again in the food chopper:



And here is what the basil salt will look like:



It makes a perfect little gift when stored in a pretty jar...



…or even in a little bag:



Basil salt is a perfect "finishing" salt for Caprese Salad, pasta or Marguerita Pizza.  It can add a nice flavor to a Bloody Mary if you "rim" the glass with it!


All for about $6 and I still have a pretty basil plant!

The same recipe can be used for Oregano Salt, Chive salt or Garlic Salt.  Experiment on your own and you might even come up with your own creation!


*******************************

And with $4.00 left to spend I decided to buy a bag of Hershey Hugs, and make a few "3 leaf clovers" for St Pattys Day:



I cut little triangles out of cardstock and put 4 drops of glue on each to adhere three candies and a short piece of pipe cleaners....



...and created "3 leaf clovers" for St Patty's Day:



Here's an old Irish Blessing, written by one of my favorite artists, Susan Branch:



And that is what I created for under $10!!

*******************************


Please visit the other participants in TEN on the 10th:









Pin It
Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

18 comments:

  1. Oooooh, I can already taste and imagine the smell of that basil goodness. I am going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love basil and this is just what I need in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basil salt is a great idea. I had no idea that you could make your own flavored salts. We will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ummm...the salt sounds awesome...and the little clovers...too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Basil salt? Brilliant! I can smell it from here and it smells like spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patti- this is a wonderful idea! I can't wait to try it.
    Welcome to 10 on the 10th!

    I am a retired high school English teacher so we have that in come as well:)

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great idea and practical. Love the gift jars and those cute little clovers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! I am not going to be a happy camper until I make some basil salt!!! I have been craving a good Bloody Mary lately! And those little clovers are darling! I am so glad you joined up for Ten on the 10th!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pat I love your basil salt idea. I am always running out of fresh basil and this would be a perfect way to have it around a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great ideas, Patti. You're a whiz at so many different things, and so great to share your ideas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum Patti! I have made rosemary salt and bacon salt, now I'll try basil! Cute shamrocks too!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea! I can already taste it on my pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How interesting Patti! I'm sure it is very tasty. Thanks for sharing! Happy Valentine's week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea and a tasty seasoning! Thanks for stopping over to say hi!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What's not to love about salt and basil! What a terrific idea -- and the clovers are adorable, too!

    Thanks so much for stopping by Marmelade Gypsy and leaving such a nice comment! Happy Week, jeanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great post Patti. The salt is a great gift idea! I'm going to experiment with it this summer when I have my own fresh herbs. I assume these will keep indefinitely? I might try a bunch of flavors and save some for gifts. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  16. Your post couldn't have come at a better time. A friend just gave me about 50 basil seedlings and I'll soon have more basil than I will know what to do with. You know what I'll be making in a few weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your basil salt idea - picking some basil from my garden today!

    ReplyDelete