Saturday, January 21, 2017

Do you really know how to boil and egg?

The trick to boiling eggs is simple:

Turn off the burner when the water boils.


No one wants an ugly GREY ring around the yolk!

Simply place your eggs into a pan, cover with cold water, place lid on pan and bring water to a boil.

 As soon as the water reaches a full boil, turn the heat off. Leave the lid on the pan. The heat of the water and the remaining warmth from the burner will be enough to finish cooking your eggs. Depending on how hard or soft you like your eggs, you can leave them like this for about 3-20 minutes:
For soft-boiled, remove them from the water in three minutes or less. The whites should be set, while the yolks should be runny and warm.
For medium-boiled, remove them from the water in 5-7 minutes. The yolks should be semi-soft in the very center and the whites should be very firm.
For hard-boiled, leave the eggs in the hot water for up to 10-15 minutes. The yolks should be firm all the way through. It's difficult to overcook eggs this way.


This has to be the easiest breakfast food to prepare!


Pin It
Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

7 comments:

  1. When we were watching the sunset in Key West, We received an education from a lovely couple that were CEO's in the egg industry. With eggs being the least expensive protein, you can feed a family on a budget. They even invited us to visit them at their home! All because of an egg...lol. I make my eggs like you do. That's my breakfast four days a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With boiled eggs being the most difficult to achieve the desired perfection of a completely set white and a slightly runny yolk I am going to have to give this a try. I love to dip my toast and Marmite soldiers! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great method for boiling eggs. I learned this method I believe from Martha Stewart! It's a good thing. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I make eggs, which isn't often, I use this same method, hard-boiled. Hubs loves eggs but not my favorite. Always make these for family gatherings at Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's how I do it, using your recommended longer time (I like mine a little more hard-boiled). You sure made them look pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been able to master soft-boiled eggs. My Irish grandmother used to make the best ones and for years I've tried to duplicate them. I'm going to try this technique. =)

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  7. easy.yes ma'am and it will be our breakfast in the morning with toast and jelly and hot coffee...ummmm

    ReplyDelete