Thursday, November 11, 2010

I am joining Artie again for Vignette Fridays...please visit to see what other participants are sharing today
I was in the thrift store today and found these beauties! I love the shape of the sugar bowl and creamer and I also loved the price - only $4.00!
Now my dilemna....do I polish them or not? I know Jane from Mamie Jane's would say to leave them as is, but there is nothing like shiny, bright, glistening silver....so I am in a quandry....
If I polish them it will take so long to get back to this patina....If I leave them alone, I will be wondering what they would look like all cleaned up!

I was thinking of putting some greens in them for the holidays, or a little bottle brush tree...what do you think?
For now they will sit on the mantle...anxiously awaiting the holiday decorations to join them. (oh, wait, that is ME anxiously awaiting the holiday decorations!)
Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

11 comments:

  1. I think they are gorgeous as is!!! But I would be like you and wonder what they looked like all polished! What if you did half of them??? I know, crazy...but then you could spin them around when you wanted shiny or tarnished! lol You'd probably have to tuck them into a vignette so you couldn't see the "line!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you can go wrong either way with these little beauties. I think I'd probably polish them just to see how they'd look. If you don't like the way they polish up, you could always spray paint them. I've spray-painted several old silver pieces and then sanded the edges just a bit so some of the silver shines through. Is that weird?

    Beautiful vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pieces.. I say clean them, if you want then tarnished it will return soon enough. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To polish or not to polish....that is the question!!
    Thanks for the mention today and you are so right, I would say leave them as they are. But......I know you like them polished so go with your heart. I think bottle brush trees would look great in them.
    Love the post about the coffee bags too!
    Have a great weekend.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote to leave them as is! Oh and I'm sending the hubby to the local coffee house (I don't drink coffee either) to see if he can score some bags for me!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!! I love the silver and I adore it tarnished....

    Lou Cinda :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely silver...I hate polishing it but I must admit I perfer it that way. why don't you leave it for now and polish it after the holidays. It will always tarnish again...probably sooner than you would like.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful finds! I have been on the hunt for silver trophy bowls and cups!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think either way they will be beautiful. The patina is so lovely now and reminds me of the brown, shiny, gorgeous ribbons I've seen at Michael's in the Christmas ribbon section. I would never have thought brown for Christmas but the ribbons are luscious and would look wonderful with reds and greens. Maybe keep the patina for this year and if you aren't loving it, change it next year. I have a feeling it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are gorgeous! I love the way they look now but, I have to confess, I almost can't resist polishing up silver just so I can see how beautiful they are all sparkling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! They will look fantastic with little pine and berries in them for the holiday season. Great score!

    ReplyDelete