Monday, January 4, 2010

CD Jewelry - a great idea for Valentines Day

I love accessories...jewelry, scarves, buttons...any type of "accoutrements" that make a statement. I have a gazillion pins and necklaces and some of my favorites are ones I have made. Here is a quick way to recycle some of those old CDs:

Directions: Heat a CD in boiling water and cut into odd shapes. Cover a CD piece with an embossing ink pad and then with double-sided embossing tape, crinkling it so that it does not stay flat and has some dimension to it. Sprinkle on enamel embossing powders in different colors and heat (the tape will shrivel a bit). If you want the CD to show thru, do not emboss the whole piece. Before the powder dries, sprinkle on some beads, curly wire, sequins or sparkles so that they adhere to the embossong powder. Attach an adhesive pin on back.
If you are making a necklace, punch hole before adding embossing powders. Do not let any powder get into the hole. Add a jump ring thru this hole and hang on a cord. (not sure why this photo is sideways)

I'm joining the Made It Monday party...go visit to see what The Persimmon Perch made-can't beat that!!! Also joining Met Monday...take a hop over there, too!

And...lucky me - Look at what I won from One Cheap B*tch...a cute sleep mask. Go visit Jeanine to see some clever Valentine ideas: (another photo sideways - what am I doing wrong?)


Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

14 comments:

  1. That is so cool. I could never do it because I am craft challenged but it is still very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea your could do something like this with old CD's. So unique and very cool! Love this. The gears in my head are turning. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patti,
    I've never seen this done...amazing! What a great way to use those old CD's!
    You had asked about the alcove in my entry. It's a shell niche..."shell" just refers to the shape of the top part. The original homeowners (25 yrs. ago) decided to have a niche installed, instead of the coat closet that's normally there in the other homes on my street.
    So glad you joined in Met Monday!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool thing to do with old CD's!!

    Thanks for visiting my blog. You asked if there was any special painting technique I used on my harlequin table. Nope...I found the center. Laid a 4x4 ceramic tile on top and started tracing the pattern in pencil. Then I free hand painted the lines. Lastly I painted the diamond shapes with a 1/2 inch paint brush...then sanded with 220 grit sandpaper to age it, followed by polyacrylic top coat.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my site. I love your jewerly! How creative. I am sorry your having problems with your photos but now I don't feel so alone in my frustration. Iwill pop on over to the Persimmon Perch.
    Thanks Traci

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool idea with the cd's... great repurpose!
    thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment!
    glad you have lots of ideas about the candy canes!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patti,
    These are wonderful. What a great use for those old CD's. Your jewelry is beautiful.
    And congratulations on winning the giveaway!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the most fascination post! No matter how clear the directions, I dont think I could ever make something that lovely out of an old CD. I'll try, and I'll save your tutorial to my favorites but something tells me you are very gifted! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Patti! This looks like a great project to do with my preteen niece! Very cool use of an old CD! Thanks for sharing that!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today, I'm going to browse around yours and see what other interesting things you're up to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who would have thunk????? Great idea and they are cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love this idea! They look great and no one would guess it is a CD! Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool and oh so different !

    You asked if I sprayed or brushed...I do both...
    small cheap projects get the spray paint, larger gets a roller or I use my hubbys air compressor and a professional air gun ( my hubby does auto body so his stuff is handy :o) )

    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love them!! Just last week I saw a Christmas wreath made out of CDs....hard to explain and I shockingly didn't take a picture. :-( I think I could replicate but it would take a LOT of CDs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoo-hoo!!! An original idea!!! Really...finally someone is sharing something I haven't seen before (applause)!!! And it's frugal and cool!!! Go, Patti, Go!!!
    Now if I could just figure out how to make necklaces out of candy canes...
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete