Thursday, October 6, 2022

The Apple Farm and our local farmer....


Tuesday was a grey, cool day, but a perfect one for apple picking, and visiting our local farmer up the road - NO crowds at all!

Our first stop was Beak & Skiff in Lafayette.  John is the best apple picker and I am the paparazzi!


This day we picked Cortlands and Macouns.  


If there is a ladder in site, John will climb it!


We had a delicious lunch in the cafe and then went into the tasting barn.


 This is a perfect wine for fall:


The Orchard Palmer is still my favorite fall cocktail:


We restocked our vodka and bourbon:


John found humor wearing his SUNY Cortland jacket while picking Cortland apples:


Another perfect day together!


Our local farmer introduced us to Honeynut Squash....


...and I baked it the same way I bake Butternut squash, with brown sugar and butter in the cavity (I used the leftover cinnamon-sugar butter I made a while back) Honeynut is much smaller and has a heavier texture. I prefer Butternut over this!



I also made a small pot of apple sauce, with 2 Cortland, 2 Macouns and 2 Honeycrisp apples


I simmer it slowly and add a little cinnamon and sugar at the end before mashing it.



And we topped off the day by picking up a knucklehead pumpkin:


They remind me of witches warts!

*************


This tote is perfect for apple picking and visiting a farm for fresh veggies, the ice cream bowl is ideal for apple sauce or veggies and the cutting board is best for charcuterie:      

                 To Go Tote Bag                   Ice cream Bowl              Glass Cutting Board


Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

3 comments:

  1. You are so lucky to live where there is fresh apples to pick and beautiful soundings. I live in Arizona with the heat. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apple picking is the best time. Glad you had a great time with your hubby. xoxo Kris

    ReplyDelete

  3. What a fun day! You always find the most interesting cocktails! I've got to bake some squash, I think acorn is my favorite, thanks for the inspo Patti!

    ReplyDelete