Thursday, April 29, 2021

The Kentucky Derby and Mint Juleps....

  • The Kentucky Derby is a horse race held annually in Louisville, Kentucky, United States, almost always on the first Saturday in May, capping the two-week-long Kentucky Derby Festival. The competition is a Grade I stakes race for three-year-old Thoroughbreds at a distance of one and a quarter miles at Churchill Downs.  This year it will be held on May 1st.  

  • What do you need to celebrate? 

  • BOURBON!  
  • Maker's Mark is a really good bourbon, and Jim Bean is probably one of the least expensive: 


  • MINT.  
  • Mine has survived all winter indoors!


  • SILVER JULEP CUPS: 


  • AND A FASCINATOR, of course!


Mint Juleps were always a part of racing culture, not just the Derby and they became the Kentucky Derby’s official drink in 1939.




  • How do you make a Mint Julep?


    • Mint Julep 

    • 8 mint leaves
    • 2 oz Bourbon
    • 1/4 ounce simple syrup 
    • Garnish: mint sprig
    • Garnish: Angostura bitters (optional)
    1. In a silver Mint Julep cup , lightly muddle the mint leaves in the simple syrup. Add the bourbon then pack the glass tightly with crushed ice.  Stir until the cup is frosted on the outside.  Top with more crushed ice to form an ice dome, and garnish with a mint sprig and a few drops of bitters (optional).

    2. MINT SPRIG GARNISH

      Firmly slap the mint sprig on the back of your hand before garnishing; this releases the oils to make the mint more aromatic.



  • Meriwether Lewis Clark Jr. (1846–1899), who founded Churchill Downs in 1875, supposedly grew mint behind the club.


  • My money is on "Bourbonic" this year!


  • Race Post Time is 6:57!


Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you are all ready to enjoy the Derby Patti. Pretty set-up. We enjoy watching. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I both are rooting for Bourbonic!!!!!!!!! I have pretend money on him! I’m impressed that you’re able to grow mint indoors!!!!! I wish! Your juleps are GLEAMING and beautiful! I like to use them year round. They’re just so spiffy!!! Enjoy the race, and GO, BOURBONIC!!!!!🏇🏇🏇

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patti... you inspired me to make one of those cocktails for Happy Hour tonight! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a Southern Girl at heart, My Friend! I love this post! I saw a video about Medina Spirit....I hope he wins. He only cost $35,000! He was a bargain, and he has the heart of a champion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers to a good race! Your spirit set up is race ready! I have a needlepoint friend who is betting her money on "Hidden Stash". 😂😂😂
    I've always wanted to attend a Derby Day. I think it would be fun to see all the fashion and hear the roar of the race I have fond memories of watching horse races at the Hippodrome in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had a Mint Julep. Something new to try. Love the cups. I might have to shop for those awesome cups.

    ReplyDelete