Saturday, February 22, 2014

MacKenzie-Childs Farmhouse Tour - Winter 2014

I have written many posts on the Farmhouse at MacKenzie-Childs in Aurora, NY.  This time I will highlight some specifics, rather than the rooms.


The farmhouse is to the left, overlooking Cayuga Lake in the distance:


As you enter, the dining room is the the left - in a rosy pink, with lovely, curved-top draperies and an exquisite chandelier. (see yesterdays post for the table setting)


It's such a stunning room:


This mirror is found in the library and the reflection shows the beautiful ceiling in this room:


The furniture in the library is so colorful and comfy!:


This floor is found in the Butler's Pantry and the story behind it is this:  each tile has one of each original design pattern from the 1980's:


The private bathroom off the Courtly Check bedroom also sports the pattern on the seat:


My favorite pattern is the Buttercup and this door is just adorable. The story of this pattern is that it was originally painted with fingers, rather than paintbrushes:


This bathroom is so bright and cheery, with a matching counter and shower stall:


One of the bedrooms has this quaint corner - wouldn't this be a lovely spot to sit and write our blogs posts?


The hallway on the second floor has a gorgeous view of the lake...


...and many of the rooms also overlook the 90' drop to the lake:




This is another private bathroom….


...that is off this bedroom. i adore these pillows:


One of the sitting rooms has this unique lamp.  The lamp base is also the same mold that is used for many of the legs on furniture, just turned upside down!


The game room has some unique chairs:


This is one of my favorites:


Here's a cute ottoman - can you recognize how its made?  "Ties" from Scotland:


This is a whimsical piece with a great story:  It is called the Ridiculous Bench.  The wooden base has EVERY one of the M-C painting styles on it.  When it was created, some one called it "ridiculous" and therefor, its name!


This window features a painting of the exact view you see when looking out the window in the summer!


The hallway walls are paintings of the original grounds before its fire in the 90's


This was the "seconds" which is no longer on the property (we used to get some great deals in the little shop!):


The back stairwell features all their fish platters - a tribute to the lake - on the "Gone Fishing" wall



I have shown many photos of the pink kitchen before, but I love the marble countertops!


If you are ever in the Finger Lakes Region of NY, you have to stop by to visit the Farmhouse  Each season there are changes in the decor, the table settings are always different and it's fun to see many of the retired pieces and patterns that might have been forgotten!

Sharing with:
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal  


Pin It

Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

8 comments:

  1. Oh, this house is so amazing! I love the bathroom and the bed is so pretty. Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful home and so many things to look at - it's over the top to think she did all of this. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pink kitchen is always my favorite, and I love the marble countertops. I have to make it a point to visit the farmhouse in every season. You should do a farmhouse four seasons post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patti, I have fond memories of my visit to the farm house. Such a treat to see this beautifully and uniquely decorated home. Thanks for sharing all the photos. It's fun to see these rooms again. I don't think I got photos inside the house on my visit. Love the idea of a Farmhouse Four Seasons post. Great idea, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treat! Some things I've never seen. Thank you for this experience ( you've changed your header, I miss the old one, sigh!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed seeing more of the details and hearing the history that you know. More, More...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tour! Looking thru the pics makes me realize I need more color in my house!!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO COOL!!! It's like upscale Mary Engelbreit! There's no way a person could possibly get bored in a space like this. There's so much color and pattern going on...the brain would be in constant "high stimulus" mode!

    ReplyDelete