Monday, July 27, 2009

Blueberry Pickin'...


My husband has never been blueberry picking, so that is how we spent our Sunday morning.


When I was young, our family used to climb Pleasant Mountain in Bridgeton, Maine to pick blueberries. My Grandparents lived there and my Grandfather had a HUGE vegetable garden (his gardening talents were not passed down through the generations!). Food was always fresh and homemade whenever we visited. And my grandmother always made breads.

So what did we do with our "harvest"? I made lemon-blueberry bread and we froze the rest of the berries. John puts blueberries on his cereal every morning and I will make blueberry muffins when we return from Ohio.


Lemon Blueberry Bread:
Cream together:
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c butter
Add:
2 eggs
peel of 1 lemon
Mix in:
2 c flour
1t salt
3/4 cup milk
1t baking powder
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
Bake in greased loaf pan @350' for 1 hour
Glaze:
2T lemon juice and 2 T sugar - pour over immediately after baking, then cool

And what do you do after a morning of picking? Go out to lunch, of course, at the Edgewater Grill, along the river:


I think we have begun a new summer tradition in our family, BLUEBERRY PICKING! In a few years, we will bring Carter along and I will tell him stories about my summers in Maine.
Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment