Bake Time: 60 minutes
1 medium zucchini, grated
1½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup yellow cornmeal
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled, 2 eggs, ½ cup buttermilk and a few drops of hot sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350'. Grease and flour a 8"x8"-inch baking dish.
2. Trim the ends off the zucchini and thinly slice 4 rounds from one end of the zucchini and reserve for garnish. Shred the remaining zucchini, toss with 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar and place in a colander. Allow to drain for 30 minutes, then press against the side of the colander to release as much moisture as possible
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. In a medium bowl, mix the butter, eggs and buttermilk. Add hot sauce.
5. Gently stir the grated zucchini into the butter mixture. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to gently fold together until no traces of flour remain. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and top with the 4 reserved zucchini slices.
6. Bake until the bread is golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. The bread can be stored at room temperature, wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 3 days.