Thursday, August 19, 2021

Canvas Coasters



 Hand Painted Coasters

I recently saw this idea on Leslie's blog and couldn't wait to make some.  I was inspired by the colors she used, especially as we creep into fall. I changed a few things about the assembly of them, as you will see at the end of the post.  I always try to change things up a bit to make it my own.  


These would make a cute hostess gift with a bottle of wine!!




I purchased 1/8 yards of Duck Canvas and cut it into 10 squares.  



I stitched each pair together to create 5 sets, using 1/2" seam allowance.  This made 5 coasters (one extra in case I made a mistake!):


And they were ready to paint:


I used an assortment of acrylic paints: yellow, orange, pink, red, raspberry, green and white.  I painted the center of the flower each corner as I find that doing each step on each coaster at the same time helps to keep them looking similar:


Then I painted the middle flower petal on each piece:


I continued on with the petals and a few green leaves:


To give the edges a funky trim, I used scalloped pinking shears:


The last step was to use a permanent, thin black marker to highlight the edges of the center of the flower and petals:


This was the fun part as it doesn't have to be neat or exact!



These took very little time to make and I look forward to making more - I am thinking Pointsettias for Christmas, Hearts for Valentine's Day, Tulips for spring and so on!


The thing I enjoy the most about blogging is the inspiration and ideas I get from fellow bloggers! 
Leslie used a drop cloth, painted them before stitching them together, and then used free motion stitching to highlight the paint, so if you try to make these, remember, there are a variety of ways to "make it your own"!  


Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

6 comments:

  1. Very cute Patti, and such a fun idea to gift them with a bottle of wine!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling! They certainly would make a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your coasters are beautiful, Patti and I can't wait to see what the future ones look like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so pretty Patti, love the colors you selected. Pretty goblets too.............

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these. They look like something you would pay an arm and a leg for at Williams-Sonoma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute, and I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete