Monday, October 20, 2014

A Kitchen Weekend…and a recipe for Pickled Beets

It was a cold weekend in central NY, so I spent a lot of time in the kitchen.

It was a perfect weekend for Beef Stew….


….I picked the last of my herbs and dried them….


...I made some herbal vinegars...


…I roasted some fresh asparagus for dinner last night...


…and I tried a new recipe for Pickled Beets!


 Pickled Beets with Orange and Rosemary:
Peel and wash 2 lbs beets.  
Boil them in about 1/2" water until tender and pack them into 2 pint jars with a small sprig of rosemary and  a strip of orange zest.


In a saucepan, mix and bring to a boil: 2/3 c fresh orange juice, 1/2 c sugar, 1/2 c white wine vinegar, 1t kosher salt:


Pour hot liquid over the beets and seal with canning lids.  Best eaten after 3 days!

I have a stack of "new" recipes to try and a "Pinterest file" full of other recipes to try….and I don't think there is enough time to prepare half of them!!


Pin It
Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

1 comment:

  1. The pickled beets sound wonderful! Chilly here too, but I just picked more cucumbers yesterday from my garden. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete