Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Morning Room Curtains

Two years ago I made these valances for the bay windows in my morning room:
I had to seam the valances at each end because of the width of this window. This seam always bothered me because the daylight really highlighted it:
I recently bought fabric at the Stickley Furniture Sale to make new valances. This is how easy they are to make:
I cut the curved shape out of fabric and lining, about 1.5" wider than window. I stitched the fabrics together and clipped the edges around the curves - this is important! When I see pillows or other things people have sewn on-line, I cringe when they don't fall or hang properly. Clips, snips and pressing is so important in construction of any hand sewn items!
I turned the valances out and pressed them flat:
The trim can be sewn on, however I glue mine - this way I can reuse the trim when I take the valances down (this is the same trim that was on the old valances!) I adhere it with a glue gun:
I bought long thin slats of wood at Home Depot and they are cut the length of the windows (again, I am using the same slats, and you can see the nails are still in the wood) - this way I use the same holes already in the woodwork)
The top of the valances are stapled onto the wood with a regular stapler (because the wood it so thin).
The valances were then hammered back into the original holes:
BUT...then I thought they needed a "connection" to the draperies I made for the sliding glass door...
...so I added a coordinating stripe of drape fabric on the top of the valances:
Much better:
The 2 yds of fabric was only $5.00. I had the lining fabric, reused the wood and fringe - so this was a very thrifty makeover!

Stop by tomorrow to see how well my new MacKenzie-Childs placemats coordinate with the new valances!

Sharing this with:
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Thrifty Thursday @Tales From Bloggeritaville

Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

17 comments:

  1. Pattie they turned out beautifully~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever and talented lady they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are blessed with creativity! Can't wait to see the placemats :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh because that seam would have driven me nuts too although no one else would probably notice it! Love how the new ones turned out and great idea adding that little strip of coordinating fabric to tie them together with the sliding door curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patti, you are a clever lady. These look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh, they are GORGEOUS! I wish you were close by, I would hire you to do this for me!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patti, Your valance is gorgeous and your tutorial is so well done! Kudos to you! I am bookmarking this!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty. That coordinating fabric is the crowning touch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! It turned out so cute! Very talented, I'm sooo not a sewer!! Like the way you tied it all together. Very pretty.
    Thanks so much for visiting!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Wow! Your curtains look wonderful! I sure wish I could sew...

    I will wait a little longer to decorate for fall too...it's still early. I'm just getting anxious! lol...Have a great day! Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it Patti! That strip of fabric to coordinate with the drapes was the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These curtains look great! I love the trim! Thanks for commenting on my blog! I just became a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patti your curtains look amazing and I love the trim you added to the top!! I'm your newest follower:) Martina

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look just awesome! How nice the contrast fabric works with the main fabric - lovely!

    Michelle
    www.newengland-style.com

    ReplyDelete