Sunday, March 14, 2010

How to make organza flowers...

Organza flowers are very simple to make and can be used in many ways to add a touch of spring to your home or outfit.

You must purchase 100% organza (you can find it at any fabric store). I make paper patterns freehand in the shapes of stars and flowers:
I cut the shapes from the fabric and melt the edges:
You must set up a station which will include a candle and a bowl of water. TRUST ME....you need the water in case the fabric catches on fire...again....trust me!!

You must "melt" the edges of the organza so that is will not fray. Holding it a few inches above the candle will work well...any closer and you will certainly need the bowl of water!

I then layer about 5-7 pieces of fabric and go to my beads to create the centers:
I stitch up through all layers and thread 3 beads onto the needle and stitch through to the back, knotting.
And that's all there is to it. So, now what to do with these cute flowers? I add them to little romantic pillows:
Adding tassels, pins, keys, etc:
Or you can turn them into pins, headbands, or belts:
Let me know if you try this!!

I am joining Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Made it Monday at Persimmon Perch and Motivate Me Monday at Keep It Simple
Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

15 comments:

  1. Oh wow! You are just little Miss Creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make it look so easy... they're beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patti,
    These are beautiful. I love how the flowers look on the pillow and as a brooch.
    So....how many times did you have to use the water?
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out great. I love it on your pillow... Thanks for stoppong by and leaving your sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These flowers are so beautiful! I loved how they turned out. I'm placing this into my favorites for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is so creative. I love them. So pretty. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those are beautiful !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so fun! I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty...and so old fashioned looking (in a beautiful way!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing how to make the flowers, I've been wondering. I know I'll need a bowl of water! lol I always use a hot glue gun near the sink so I can cool off my fingers in the cold water!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your flowers! What a nice finishing touch to your pillows! I am definitely going to try this! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look great! So pretty. Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these! I tried some without melting the edge and I didn't like the frayed edges - so I'll give this a try! PS- on the speckled eggs- I spray painted them blue. Then used a dry brush to dab on white. After that I repeated the dabbing with brown. The dabbing covers up the seam in the plastic eggs. I thought about doing paper mache eggs, but was in a hurry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really impressed. These turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete