Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Favorite Ornaments


When you think about it, ornaments are a thrifty way to decorate...Many are inexpensive, they can be used year after year and they bring much pleasure!

I can't decide which is my favorite "Christmas Ornament", however each year as I pull them out, I take so much pleasure in remembering the story behind each one. I have a sweet little tea cup ornament that is over 30 years old and I like it to be the first I put on the tree each year - I don't know why, I just do - My Aunt gave it to me in the tiniest box and it made me so curious when I opened it.
The ones I made also make me smile, knowing that no one else has any like them.:
And of course those "beauties" that the girls made in elementary school:
I also have a small collection of Shiny Brights from my Grandfather's tree and my husband's Father's tree:
And the ones who were on my tree as a child:
And some I made as a child:
There are many we bought on family vacations: Japan and Disney World
New York City
San Francisco Alaska
OK...these are not in the "thrifty category", but they go along with my post :-)
My latest favorites are these Swarovski Snowflakes, a different one for each year, a collection my mother gave me:

And these other crystal (Baccarat, Lenox, Orefors, Waterford) ornaments.
So, I guess each one is my favorite, in its own way! Do you have a favorite?

I'm joining Leigh at Bloggeritaville for Thrifty Thursday....hop on over for some great ideas
Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

11 comments:

  1. It is fun to pull out the ornaments one by one and remember when and where you got them. My favorites are the ones the kids made in school and I love the photo ornaments of them when they were little. We too try to bring one home from our travels. We hope to be pulling our out sometime this weekend. I enjoyed seeing some of your collection. The lifesaver roll ornament takes me back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Not only do you have a Christmas tree, you have a family tree filled with beautiful memories.
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that each of the ornaments have meaning and memories attached. Thanks for sharing them!

    pk @ Room Remix

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your ornaments and so nice that each one has memories. Thanks for sharing.Happy Thrifty thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...you did some traveling as a kid! I love that your ornaments all have meaning behind them...it is a nice little walk down memory lane each year.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun collection ! All my older ones have broken over the years......you are lucky !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that star one with the face. Adorable! I picked up some similar ones at a craft fair last month. They are so precious! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have quite a collection of ornaments. I love the Shiny Brights!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your ornaments are fabulous and I like that you have a special memory of each! I would love to start a Swarovski Snowflake collection, yours are gorgeous!!

    I try each year to buy one special ornament that I can remember that Christmas by.

    Thanks for your visit and lovely comment.

    Love and hugs,
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your old Shiny Brights are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of your ornaments are beautiful. I particularly love the Shiny Brites.

    ReplyDelete