Monday, March 22, 2010

Old Paper Goods...

Syracuse has a flea market in the Regional Market every Sunday. I stopped in this past weekend and there is a little old lady who sits at the end of 2 tables and randomly "dumps" a pile of assorted items on her tables. These items are .25 each or 5/$1.00. Sometimes you will find old photos, salt cellars, linens, political pins, love letters, etc. No one can pass by without taking a peak. I was intrigued by these few things:
With the onset of World War II, the government found it necessary to ration food, gas, and even clothing during that time. Rationing was introduced to avoid public anger with shortages and not to allow only the wealthy to purchase commodities.
I can't imagine having to use stamps to buy food because of a shortage - can you?

But apparently these two women didn't need to use all their stamps:
I remember my mother collecting Green stamps, but never Red Stamps:
As a child, one of my chores was to "lick" the green stamps and put them into the books.
There was also a union wallpaper hanging price guide from 1913. And interestingly enough, NO wallpaper could be hung on Labor Day!
So, I have no idea what I will do with these little booklets, but they were worth the dollar just to look through them!

I'm joining 2nd Time Around Tuesday at A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words and Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm

Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

20 comments:

  1. I would have bought them too just to get a peak at the past! Very interesting. Hope your little old lady vendor is there next time you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is real history you have there. That was a good buy. Also, love the little silver bowl in the previous post and especially the jelly beans - my favorite! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great find...I would make copies and use them as a background for my crafts.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really cool pieces. I would probably be spending hours at that lady's table!
    Thanks for the great idea of using tarnished silverware on my platter holder....fabulous idea!!! And I bet you won't be surprised when I tell you I have a collection of old silverware too :-)
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have amazing pieces of history! Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing pieces of memorabilia! How wonderful to have. :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Timeless and priceless pieces you have there. My husband LOVES old stuff like this and would be in hog heaven if he had all that! I would frame the pieces and up they would go! Love it. Thanks for visiting my blog Patti. Be blessed. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you hit the jackpot. I love history. I would have paid much more for those items.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get. out. of. town. You lucky shopper! I can't believe you found those ration books for so little!! You wouldn't want to sell them, would you?? I wish I could come to your flea market!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love going thru old papers and such. Cool
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome treasures you found here...I can remember the GREEN STAMPS too...we got them when we bought gas! Thanks for coming to my NTT PAR-TAY:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - what a marvelous find! I am so intrigued by little relics like that. I can remember growing up seeing ration books like that of my grandmother's. I would love to know where they are now!

    By the way, thanks so much for stopping by my blog to comment on my bunny treat bags. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just gotta make one more comment Patti...I love your blog. I am your follower girl! My husband said ONLY CULTS have followers! Ha! Guess we in a cult unh? Be blessed. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love finding treasures like that!
    Just read your post about your cute green shoes. Too funny!
    Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Patti~ What a great find! I remember licking the stamps to put in the books too! We all wanted to do it! ~Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Patti,
    Hope you don't mind but I bragged about you for my Boardwalk Bragfest post this week.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still have some that belonged t o my Grandmother...at least I think i still do..haha. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! What amazing finds! I love anything like that. I'd frame them and hang them in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like those! Can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to cool...Lucky, lucky you!!

    ReplyDelete