Monday, June 19, 2017

Garlic Scape Pesto...

  I used to grow Egyptian garlic years ago, but as you know, the garden and I don't get along well.

Last fall I planted some garlic.....and surprisingly, it grew!

I cut the scapes once they curled and grew above the leaves, to help put the energy back into the plant to form a plump bulb:


The scapes look so pretty added to a fresh floral arrangement:


BUT
even better is making Garlic Scape Pesto!

I cut the bulbs off the scapes....


and cut about 8 scapes into 1/2" pieces...


...I measure out 1/2 c Parmegiano Reggiano cheese...


...and 1/2 c walnuts or pine nuts...


...and handful of fresh basil leaves...


..and 1/2 c EVOO and some salt...


...and throw it all into the food chopper...


I altered the original recipe a bit as I love parmegiano reggiano cheese!  
The original recipe can be found here

I froze some in ice cube trays to save for my fall soups - I just plop one into veggie soup for flavor!


This is also tasty on toasted baguette slices:


Now, hopefully in the fall I will have some garlic bulbs to dig up!


How I made Pesto last year - HERE

Pin It

Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

7 comments:

  1. Oh you clever girl! That floral arrangement is stunning and the recipe looks SO good. A great use of the entire plant.
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the flower arrangement! We have been using garlic scapes too. Enjoy your pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those scapes make for a very artistic arrangement - love it! Pesto sounds great, and so smart to freeze some for later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that arrangement!!! I've never had garlic scapes, and your pesto sounds amazing!!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your art to the kitchen! Great arrangement and recipe........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What great timing this recipe is! My daughter just gave me a bunch of garlic scapes and I made pasta with them which was delicious. I didn't know what to do with the rest of them, but now I do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing...I'm not very good in the garden....

    ReplyDelete