Monday, August 30, 2010

Niagara Falls

We just celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary and our tradition has always been to celebrate each anniversary by the water (lakes, oceans, rivers etc) and this year we have booked a Caribbean Cruise for February. On the actual date, to keep up with tradition, we spent a few days in the Niagara Falls area. It's only a 3 hour drive and the Falls are beautiful - the power of the water makes you wonder how anyone could ever survive going over them!!
The American Falls
The Canadian Falls
The Skylon Tower (revolving dining room and observatory) - where we had our anniversary dinner:
American Falls from the Skylon Tower Dining Room
The Canadian Falls from the Skylon Tower Dining Room:
The Whirlpool River before it meets Lake Ontario:
Niagara on the Lake - a quaint little town with lots of shops and restaurants:
One of my favorite artists' gallery - Angie Strauss - unfortunately she is closing down - so I bought one more print (of Niagara Falls, of course)
The area between the Falls and Niagara on the Lake has many, many wineries, so, of course, we stopped at a few. Ice wine is quite popular in this area - a sweet dessert wine in a lovely tall thin bottle:
My favorite wine at Konzelmann's was their Peach wine, and we can only bring back 2 bottles through customs, so that we did!
More great fruit wines:
While eating lunch at an outside restaurant in Niagara on the Lake, I spied this beauty:
NY has so many great areas to take day trips or short vacations, and if you've never been to Niagara Falls - its a MUST DO!

The summer ends for me this week as school begins the day after Labor Day... summertime goes by so quickly! But I do look forward to the Fall in the Adirondacks.

Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What a beautiful way to celebrate your anniversary.

    E+J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!

    I enjoyed the pictures form your trip. I especially loved the one of the beautiful and BIG butterfly.

    The Falls are so powerful. I felt so small when I was there.

    Happy Monday! La

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patti,
    Happy Anniversary!! 30 years.......wonderful!!
    I loved the tour of Niagara Falls. I have been there once many, many years ago. I was living in Cleveland in the early 80's and my Mom and Dad came out to visit. We made a road trip to Niagara Falls and had a really nice time.
    Your pictures were great. I especially love the ones from the top of that restaurant.
    Enjoy your last weekend before school starts.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! My parents grew up in Lockport, NY so I have many memories of going to the Falls on Sunday afternoons with my Grandparents! One of my many collections is vintage Niagara Falls souvenirs! I would love to go back up there to visit- I have not been in 43 years.....how can that be????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary! and what a wonderful way to spend it at the original honeymoon spot in the country...I love the falls...Me and daughter used to go visit when she was at school at Cornell....I love the upstate area...
    we also used to go shopping in great little shops in "Skinny-Atlas"....now you know I have no idea how to spell the real town!!
    I also love what you did with your neutral decorating for the fall...very nice job!

    ReplyDelete