Monday, March 15, 2010

A t-shirt necklace

This is an easy recycling project for old t-shirts:

I just made this necklace from an vintage t-shirt and it only takes a few minutes:
I cut a few strips about 1/2 wide and the width of the t-shirt (you can also purchase t-shirt fabric)
When you pull the strips of fabric tightly, the edges curl inward and each strip forms a "tube"
I then gathered a few, tied a few knots, and tied them together in the back:
It is so lightweight and I plan on making a few more, adding beads and other embellishments to the side. I might also make a matching bracelet!I'm joining 2nd Time Around Tuesday at A Picture is worth 1000 Words
and Coastal Charm"s Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

13 comments:

  1. That's very creative! Great idea!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in the "credits" (your prize for the time being, until I can arrange for a better one) over at my post "One Cherry Blossom Lane"

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea!! I love this one and I have tons of t-shirts that I can use. Great idea.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow that is pretty and and awesome idea. Lovely!

    Candle shade

    ReplyDelete
  5. get out! that's really cool. kids & teens would get a kick out of doing that too!!! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made one of these for my teenage niece. They are so fun! I added some chunky beads and made the strands a bit thicker. Give it a try :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cute! I will have to make one! Thanks for sharing! : ) I love the idea of adding beads! I also think a couple of well placed flowers would be cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patti,
    This is such a COOL idea...thanks for sharing it with all of us at NTT!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this!! My granddaughter would have a ball making these. She's a real fashionista. lol. Thanks for visiting junkblossoms. Hope you'll stop in again soon. Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a super great idea! I found you from your comment on Fireflies and Jellybeans. I will probably be trying this soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute. I quit wearing jewelry because of an allergic reaction to all metal, but this is one that I can wear! Thank you for the idea! Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute! My granddaughters are going to love making this (and I'm sure all their friends) Thanks for sharing! Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete