Sunday, February 28, 2010

A MacKenzie-Childs inspired mirror

I love MacKenzie-Childs Courtly Check designs, especially the pottery. The enamelware is also beautiful, but if I had my choice, and the money, I would buy all of the pieces in the pottery line. I love how the paint is dragged thru each individual check.
This bowl was the inspiration for this mirror transformation. I had an old maple mirror and I painted it white:
I made a pallette of creamy white, plum, green and banana acrylic paints and began to paint the individual white checks. And then I went back to paint the black checks. I have been to the M-C plant in Aurora, NY numerous times and this is how I remember them painting their checks...
And this is how it turned out:
I wanted a mirror by my front entry....and this is doing the trick!
I also like how the reflection of my dining area shows up in the mirror:
Now I need a taller lamp - Isn't it funny how one project leads into another???

Today I am linking up with Made It Mondays at the Persimmon Perch and Make it For Monday at Cottage Instincts and Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

20 comments:

  1. Your mirror project came out very good and ties in so nicely with all your other pieces in your hall way and I love how it reflects the other rooms in your home - I try ot toake pics like that and cna never seem to gt them to come out right!

    Great job -

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK - that should read - I try to take pics like and can never - wow - I really messed that one up - sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you did here. I can't get enough for black and white...especially checks. I keep my McKenzie-Childs catalogs for inspiration. You did a great job on your mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patti you are SO talented! I love your blog and am so glad you stopped by mine. This is such an interesting vignette especially with the reflection of your dining room. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the mirror. You have a lot of patience and a steady hand!! I really like how everything coordinates in the front entry. I see that it even coordinates with a little lamp in the other room too (the one reflected in the mirror).
    Love the entryway table too!!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great..you are quite the painter.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. loving your "new" mirror! and YES one project DOES always lead to another!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am fwd this to my MC friend addicts. One of them just did a table..It came out great!
    I hope she posts it on her blog.
    Your mirror is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok, here is my address so u can send me that mirror! lol. Love it! mishelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. A girl after my own heart! I adore anything CC and most of MK-C things. It does become addictive, doesn't it? Your mirror is wonderful. I impressed that you painted it yourself. Great job!
    I've visited MK-C in Aurora several years ago. What a fabulous experience. I would love to return sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That came out great! How cool that you painted it yourself, too. Love that Fancy Nancy black lampshade. A girl always needs a reason/excuse to shop/re-invent! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your MacKenzie-Childs inspired mirror is a wonderful knock-off! You mastered the technique of dragging the color through the tiles. Beautifully done. I would love to have a mirror like that! Black and white- a big statement and a the best combo.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute MC inspired paint job! You are the Queen of black and white check!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty, Patti! I like how you can see your dining room in the reflection, too! I love the black and white check.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did a great job! I chuckled when you mentioned one project leads to another:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your make-over is wonderful.

    I'm in LOVE with that original bowl, though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay another black and white lover. So glad I stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm having such a 'Duh!' moment from your post. I have the same rooster mat as in your 1st pic. So I read your post, admire how cute the frame turned out and was going to tell you so. But then it just hit me - black & white! That's what my house needs to be updated. You've inspired me, believe me.
    Oh, and I do love your frame too. But thanks more for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome! You did a great job. :)

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the mirror...don't think you need a taller lamp though. Just fold down your table top because it dwarfs the entire foyer/recessed area. Put the lamp on the right side so the cord is not draggin across the entire of the table and interupt the flow. Then stack a few more books to make the lamp taller if need be. Hope this helps :D

    ReplyDelete