Sunday, January 31, 2010

What is this?

Did you ever find something and like it, but you didn't know what it was ? I found this in my father's cellar a few years ago:
It says Humphrey Gas Iron across the top and General Specialty Company across the bottom. It has 4 little feet and is about 8 inches long:
It was all rusty and crusty, so I spray painted it black:
Does anyone know what it is - because I don't! But I use it as a trivet!

UPDATE: This is a rest for a gas iron. When I read GAS on it, I was thinking a "gas company". And the shape certainly didn't resemble an iron. But after all your help, I googled and found more info....and there are even some for sale on Ebay (but I am keeping mine!). Thanks to everyone who helped identify this!

I am linking with the following parties, hoping that someone knows what this is:
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
2nd Time Around Tuesday at A Picture is worth a 1000 Words

Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

11 comments:

  1. I have no idea what it is but it's really cool looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an iron FOOTBALL!!!! Hehehehehehehe.

    Actually, until you said it said "gas iron" on it, I was wondering if it WAS a trivet to go under one of those old irons that had to be heated on the stove. You know - - - an iron you iron clothes with.

    I don't know for sure what it is - - - but I LIKE it. Anything football shaped can't be ALL bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a rest for an old gas iron (a pressing iron with a small gas bottle attached). If you open this link you can see the style that it was probably used with.

    http://www.patented-antiques.com/Irons_Gas.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a rest for an old gas iron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmmmm no idea...I think it makes a great trivet too !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a rest for the old irons that heated on the stove! Kinda like a trivet!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like an iron rest to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the other comments that it's a rest for an old iron. It's a very cool looking piece. Great find in your father's cellar.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone has gotten it right. It's an iron rest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet it makes a great trivet, no matter what it was before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure of it's size, but I think it's either a trivet for an iron or a branding iron? But then, what do I know? LOL

    ReplyDelete