Friday, January 8, 2010

Taking it one step further...

So many of us are using tote bags now rather than "paper or plastic". This is one I made using a basic pattern. The difference is that I added embellishments. First I painted one side of double sided, fusible webbing with Jaquard Lumiere paints. These paints leave a wonderful sheen. I then ironed torn pieces of the webbing onto the front side of the bag (prior to assembly).
I also added some oriental coins and charms (glue and/or stitch) and some words printed on computer printer fabric. I didn't want these items to "catch on anything" and fall off so I layed a piece of copper colored tulle over the whole piece and stitched around each embellishment.
The stitching also will "catch" any pieces that might fall off
And to amuse myself (which I do often), I added a "designer label" inside with my photo on it! This is also computer printer fabric, just stitched onto the pocket.
This "one of a kind" tote is just what I need when I run to the grocery store or farmer's market.
And if you don't sew, you can embellish a purchased tote bag with markers and doo-dads to make it unique!

I'm linking up with Sew and Tell for the first time...visit to see who's been sewing what! and also Made It Monday at Persimmon Perch...go visit there, too

Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

7 comments:

  1. Who says you can't have style when shopping? Great idea and great bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the different fabric you use in the bag

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute I love all the details. Thanks for posting to Made it Monday! Jules

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your bag. Definitely a better choice than "paper or plastic". The inside is just too cool. Love the stripes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great project! I can tell you really had fun with it, too. Love the attention to detail! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your label, Patti! Thanks for sharing your tips on my blog. I will try that idea soon!

    ReplyDelete