Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Plum, Eggplant, Aubergine...it's all purple to me

I have the urge to redecorate - already - and I've only been in my new home for 6 months.

I love change...and I haven't had purple in my house since the bedroom I had as a teenager.
So, off to Marshall's and TJ Maxx for a few accessories....
And to Joanne's for fabric...and I removed the soft cornices I made this past summer:
The best thing about this window treatment is that it is so easy to make and inexpensive, too. I started with a paper pattern of the shape I wanted:
and I cut 2 out of fabric and lining:
Then stitched them together on 3 sides, clipped, snipped and turned then right side out, leaving the top open:
I hot glued a trim on the bottom...

Stapled the top to a 1" x 1/4" slat of wood and nailed them to the inside top of the woodwork:
And then took this crappy photo...how on earth can you take a photo, sans flash, when it is so bright and snowy outside?

So I waited til nighttime to take this photo:
Total cost: under $6.50 per window
Fabric - $4.50 (with enough leftover to make a pillow)
Lining - $3.00
Wood - $5.00 (a little flirting with a guy at Lowe's and he will cut it for you)
Trim - had it leftover from another project

Now you can see why it is so easy and cheap to change these window treatments! Off to make a few pillows....

I am joining Leigh at Bloggeritaville for thrifty thursday...don't be a party pooper...stop by for a visit
Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love those window treatments... I think You just may have inspired me to get going on my own!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely window treatments. You made it sound so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative, I can't sew at all. I laughed at your day picture though LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patti...
    I woke up this morning with 'how do I want to do this stupid window?' on my brain! I have a room stripped down (the room, not me) ready to paint today. I have everything planned except the window. Windows give me fits! I'm going to put this in my faves...
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patti! What wonderful shades of purple!!!
    Thanks, friend, for linking up to Thrifty Thursday on Tales from Bloggeritaville! Great thrifty treasure!

    Leigh
    Tales from Bloggeritaville
    www.lbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These window treatments are the perfect shape for that window! I actually had those same windows at a house we lived in when we were first married and my window treatments were very similar! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Window treatments always intimidate me, but those definitely look do-able! = ) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that just turned out PERFECT! It looks very custom and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make it sound too easy!! The window treatments are fabulous. I say treatments because I really liked the before and the after. Wow...I wait 12 years to redo one bedroom and you're changing window treatments after 6 months! You do like change :-)
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a friend who, in her former house, had a just beautiful purple-painted family room. Then they moved, and the purple just didn't work. I was over there last month and the purple has returned! -- on the wall to the finished basement. Her 17-year-old daughter really wanted it. And it's gorgeous. I am in awe of your talent, but I have to say, the window treatments look do-able. I could do that if I could find the fabric I want. I tend to become paralyzed with indecision. I have found a just fabulous book filled with decorating tips, "At Home with Laurie Ann." OMG, as my daughters would say. I am just inspired to finally do something. I am now morphing from simple flooring in one of the bathrooms, to window coverings -- so believe me, your example is so well timed! The author gives step-by-step instructions to help you through a budget-minded transformation (and who can't use THAT?) of your home. I love the photos -- am getting lots of ideas for fabrics and accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful job..I love the ease with which you make window treatments every time..gives me a few ideas to make one for my own..Thanks!

    Also, thanks for visiting my blog and commenting; it really encourages the newly found crafter in me! Do keep coming 'em up!!

    ReplyDelete