Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A morning in the kitchen...

I am having a barbeque on Saturday and want to try some new recipes. I have learned to be cautious in preparing and serving foods that I have never tried before so today I got the urge to be in the kitchen. It doesn't happen often, but today was one of those days when I wanted to make a mess. The first recipe was a cookie my friend Denise made last Easter. It's been in all the magazines lately so I made a "test batch".

You simply crush up a box of Oreos in a food processor and blend in 8 oz of cream cheese and roll into 1" balls:
You then decorate the balls with white chocolate....you are supposed to dip the balls into the chocolate, but that didn't go smoothly and I made a mess, so I put melted chocolate into a ziploc baggie and drizzled it onto the balls...I am sure a cake decorator would do a lovely job with this, but no cake decorator am I , so, I SQUIRTED it:After chilling for about an hour they are ready to eat. They taste decadent and I will make them again on Saturday (mainly because there won't be any left by then)

Then I decided to make pickles for the party....I know - PICKLES?? My grandmother always made pickles and I have her special recipe and no, I can't share it...at least not yet. My house smelled like vinegar, and it reminded me of summers in Maine. They came out great and will be ready to taste on Saturday.
I canned 3 jars to keep as gifts....the nice thing about pickles is that they seal themselves in jars and do not need to be processed:
Now to plan the rest of the meal for Saturday...any ideas?
Patti @ Pandoras Box
Patti @ Pandoras Box

I live in central NY and I am a retired family and consumer science teacher. I enjoy all types of crafting, decorating and cooking

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing better than good homemade pickles. There's a restaurant in NYC that we go to that we love...that serves homemade pickles with the bread basket. I swear it's half the reason I go there! :-)

    ReplyDelete